Thursday, March 01, 2012

Review: ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS


 Stars: 4/5
 Format: Hardback
 Read: March 1, 2012

To say that I devoured this book is an understatement. Like a weirdo, I read LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR first so I kinda knew how the whole relationship between Anna and St. Clair would work so I was slightly disappointed that this book has so much... well drama. More drama than romance, really. Which was not like LOLA at all.

If there wasn't so much teenage drama I would have given this book five stars. I am not against drama, not at all, because it keeps a story moving. The same drama over and over with different people? Yeah, that got on my nerves. To me, if you're going to give me that much drama, give me more times where I feel good rather than painfully reliving my high school years and having no say in how it turns out.

Anna was likable, but I felt I got to know her through drama almost exclusively which tainted her in a slightly negative light. She likes movies, which is fine and dandy, but you learn very little about HER. You learn loads about St. Clair, which is very wonderful, but you can't slightly neglect your other leading character otherwise it's a bit noticeable. I liked Anna, which is why I wanted a little more of her. However, what you do see is almost the complete picture and I really cheered for her. I liked Lola better, but hey, I did read Lola first after all.
I thought that overall, this was a great 'senior year' type book dealing very practically with the 'I'll never see you again probably' bit. Having been out of high school for four years now, it is bittersweet, but you know that you really weren't that close otherwise you'd keep in touch. Perkins deals with this the best that I have seen in a young adult book ever. Yes, it is important since you've spent a year or more with these people, but in the end you make room for whomever you can't live without.

I loved LOLA more but I am very happy with ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, Perkin's writing style and characters, and the romance. Small side note: The F word is present a handful and a half times in correct context, but I have never liked that word. Just in case you like to be warned.

Pick it up, you might be pleasantly surprised!

No comments: