Monday, February 20, 2012

Review: SERIOUSLY... I'M KIDDING


 Stars: 3.5/5
  Format: Audio book
  Read: February 18, 2012

I got this audio book mostly because it's read by Ellen DeGeneres. I love her, I think she's hilarious, and so I thought that she'd be great to listen to as if she were putting on a show on CD. This is not the case.

Unfortunately, as much as I love Ellen, her audio book sounds stilted like, well, she's READING it. The jokes are a little like jokes you plant in a speech that has a monotonous edge to it that totally ruins the entire thing.

The entire book wasn't like that, but the lead up to the punch line falls flat when she can't get that "I'm reading you a funny joke but I have to be careful I don't spit in the microphone so I'm going to read with one tone of voice for places I might spit whilst laughing" out of her voice! It's so frustrating!

The book itself was a compilation of seemingly random chapters, some very short and some long. There's a long period of silence for a 'meditation' period as well as one chapter she says 'hey, look in the printed copy because we're gonna skip reading them here' (this is the 'text lingo' chapter). Luckily, I had access to the book, but it's kind of a waste of your time to try and track it down. There's also a chapter that is all about sounds which is perfect for the audio book and not so much for the printed version.

Plus, it's short. I mean, REALLY short. Like we're talking three hours short. And I honestly didn't like it enough to listen to it again. It is definitely a woman-empowering book and some of the chapters I laughed out loud but most I really wanted to skip.

I'd borrow it from the library before you decide to buy the audio book. But a decent read nonetheless.

No comments: